Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Rome’s Most Popular Church: Warning Notice About Reception of Communion

Santa Maria in Aracoeli, the youngest of the Roman churches, which was built in the basilica style. On the left is the "Fatherland altar".

(Rome) The Basilica of Santa Maria in Aracoeli on the Capitol is one of the most popular churches in Rome. In it, in a side chapel, the Santo Bambino, the baby Jesus, is worshiped. In the church, a warning board has now been attached, which is the opposite of what is said under the slogan "Communion for all".

The "Holy Child" was carved by a Franciscan in the late Middle Ages from the wood of an olive tree from the garden Gethsemani. The Franciscan order has been in charge of the church since 1250. From 1517 until the end of the 19th century, it even housed the Order's General House. The construction of the present church began shortly before.

The first church on this highest elevation on the Capitol, the former political and religious center of the city of Rome, was built in the 6th century. The church was connected to a Benedictine monastery. At that time the church was still called Santa Maria in Capitolio. The grand staircase to the church was built by the city council in the middle of the 14th century, as an exvoto for the end of the plague that raged in Europe at the time.

High altar with miraculous image

The church on the hill, today somewhat constrained by the oversized promulgation of the secular "Fatherland Altar", with which the Italian state celebrated its unification and the conquest of Rome (and also symbolically overshadowed the conquered Church, along with a new state cult), Throughout the centuries, it was the church of the Roman people - even more than St. Peter's Basilica and the other patriarchal basilicas. Here, the Romans make their pilgrimage today with their worries and requests for the baby Jesus. Here they thank with the Te Deum at the end of the year.

In 1797, the French Revolutionary troops expelled the Franciscans, robbing and destroying. The church was profaned. Already in 1799 it was restored and the brothers of St. Francis of Assisi returned. When Italy was united by force in 1870 and eliminated the Papal States, the monasteries on the Capitol, like all monasteries, were abolished. The young state turned it into a barracks.

ara caeli

In 1886 the monastic history of the monastery ended, which was demolished to give way to the aforementioned monument, which the Romans derisively call "the bit". Shortly before 1900, the Franciscans built a new, much smaller monastery next to it.

The baby Jesus was stolen in 1994 by unknown perpetrators. The excitement and indignation in Rome was very great - even Rome's underworld. From the prisons of the city, the imprisoned Roman
crooks appealed to the perpetrators to return the baby Jesus. It has remained lost until today. The Roman crooks then started a collection of money from the prison. With the money a faithful copy was made, which has been worshiped since then in the church.

The Franciscans, whether for a concrete or preventive occasion, at the entrances to the church brought a multilingual reference reminding and admonishing the faithful and visitors of the church in Italian, English, French and Spanish:

"At the Holy Mass, only baptized persons who are in the state of grace can receive Eucharistic communion."

A reminder that also applies to some German bishops.

Text: Giuseppe Nardi
Image: Wikicommons
Trans: Tancred

1 comment:

MyronM said...

In order to briefly illuminate the 'genius loci', one must begin with the birth of Jesus Christ: that day, the Emperor August asked Tiburtine Sibyl whether there would be a ruler more powerful than him. Then Sibyl described him the vision of the Divine Child born of the Virgin. To commemorate this prophecy, the emperor built an altar for the Firstborn of God (Ara primogeniti Dei) at this place. Thus, the emperor, the sovereign ruler, sacrificed Rome, city and state, to the Unknown God.
In the sixth century, there was a monastery and a Byzantine church on the Capitoline Hill; from the 9th century, the Benedictines lived there, and from the 13th century Franciscans until today.
Emperor Augustus and Sibyl are immortalized by frescoes inside the temple, Greek monks by the famous Icon of the Advocate Madonna, and Franciscans by Crib and Santo Bambino.
On the call to "renew my church," Saint Francis of Asissi answered Our Lord by building a crib in Greccio AD 1223. Again the crib? After all, Jesus Christ was born a long time ago! So why a crib? For the Restorer, the one who will renew the church of Christ. Who is this? The Second Comforter, Paraclete.
So the genius loci of Capitoline Hill is made up of the Roman Emperor Augustus, the Greek Madonna Advocate and the Greek Divine Child. We would have a set of person if we omitted the Altar of the Fatherland, and yet it also tells us something. King Victor Emmanuel II dominates in this monument. His names mean: "King Second Victorious Emmanuel". The first Emmanuel is Jesus Christ, the second Emmanuel is the Paraclete promised by Our Lord himself.
Madonna Advocate prays for the coming of the Paraclete. Yet He fell (Feb. 1, 1994) in the hands of thiefs. Why? Because this is one of the prodigal sons of Santa Ecclesia Mater Nostra, son of the Roman Catholic church. The Church of Santa Maria in Ara Coeli is the church of the Roman people, and Paraclete will be their deliverer at this time of the universal fall of faith, when the Franciscans must inform that the Holy Eucharist is only for the baptized and in a state of sanctifying grace. Because the figurine of Santo Bambino was stolen on the eve of the Presentation of the Lord, it means that we are on the eve of the revelation of the Fire to deter the wolves that tear the Mystical Body of Christ and to enlighten the Gentiles.
The crowning proof of the above interpretation of 'genius loci'of the Capitoline Hill is the date of the unveiling of Altare della Patria with King Emmanuel's the Second monument: June 4, 1911 ... it was the Sunday of the Pentecost that year!