Eight weeks after the destruction of the cathedral by bombs in March 1945, when burned even the rosebush, sprouted from his spilled debris root out 25 new shoots.
Hildesheim (kath.net/KNA) The first pink blooms are opening on the famous millennial rose tree at the eastern apse of the Hildesheim cathedral. The main flowering is to be expected in the coming days, according to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Hildesheim this Monday. They should attract many visitors to the Diocesan Church, as they do every year.
The legend of the rose tree, a wild dog rose, goes back to the founding history of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Hildesheim around the year 815.
At that time, Emperor Louis the Pious, built a chapel on the spot where a rose tree had twined about a precious reliquary [Of Our Lady's robe]. Ultimately this chapel was the site of the construction of the Hildesheim's St. Mary's Cathedral, whose outer wall goes back to where the legendary rose tree grows today. It has been testified in writing for more than 400 years. Eight weeks after the destruction of the cathedral by bombs in March 1945, which even burned the rosebush, 25 new shoots sprouted forth from its spilled debris.
The diocesan church is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which opened again after extensive renovation work since the summer of 2014. The rose tree, a landmark of the diocese and the city of Hildesheim, is surrounded by a low boxwood hedge. The greenhouse is accessible through a single access point at the cathedral foyer, daily from 10:00 to 18:00 hours. The Hildesheim Rosenstock (C) 2016 CBA
Trans: Tancred firstname.lastname@example.org